September 15, 2010

Training so far.

The view of the island from the plane
The beach right where i am staying
The sunset from the directors house
our training group getting ready to drink kava

Our Trainers, Kevin and Elinda

So i've been keeping a journal but i feel like it is very wordy and i'll be trying to keep the updates to the important stuff. I've been here now since sunday and already been having some great adventures. I found out that the locals who are our language trainers like playing volleyball so we've gone down to the beach and played with them. Also my card tricks have been a huge hit with one of the older trainers named George and he's been teaching me the language a lot while trying to explain the card tricks. Also, the machete i brought was a big hit and everyone wanted me to get down a coconut and chop it up on the first day so i obliged and ended up getting stung by a hornet cause there was a nest in the tree haha. It stung quite bad but luckily i'm not allergic.  Kava was a different experience, it tasted like mowed grass to me but the effect was quite unique. The area is beautiful but soon we'll be moving out of the orientation site and headed to the training village. Island life is definitely slower moving nothing is quite on time but as most people know me that works out quite well. Looking forward to whats to come and ill try to keep it updated.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Nic! Pete and I are so excited to follow your adventures. I think you have a lot of people here in Tucson that want to be there with you! Thanks so much for doing a blog. And don't worry about what you write - any story big or small will be appreciated! love, peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic!!! Hugs to you and how awesome what you are doing. Jay is saving; he's coming to see you after he graduates in May. Sorry we didn't get to say a proper goodbye, but goodbyes suck. Love, love, love your pictures and posts. So great of you to keep all of us boring-life people in your adventure. You are so lucky to be there, but the ones you are helping are lucky to have you! Looking forward to more from you. Jay misses you a lot and says hi even though he's not here to tell me to type it, but subliminally I am getting that message!) Have an excellent day. xoxoxo DEB

    ReplyDelete
  3. A machete + hornet?!?! Yup sounds like Nic...hehe. Well, we are all pleased that your trip thus far has been memorable to say the least and I think everyone would agree that we are proud of what you will be doing as a volunteer. I'll be looking forward to reading about your other adventures (minus the hornets)! Keep making footprints in the sand Nic!

    Courtney Croswell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nic,
    I didn't know you packed a machete! Was that on the list? I suppose it could be useful to keep the jungle at bay. The photos are great. It is going to be so much fun following your blog. As always, BIG HUGS! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, simply to clarify,

    My mom typed the comment titled, Jay Said.

    My guess is that I left my parent's PC signed into my Google account. There for--unbeknown to mom--she was impersonating me. That, and the dinosaurs will walk the earth before I conclude anything written to you with, "XOXOXO".

    Love you man,

    Jay (for real)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also,

    Machetes are ALWAYS on the list.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nic,
    You've got quite a following. How will you ever work with an office like that? Enjoy every minute. 27 months seems long but it will go by in a heart beat! I just have to convince you mom of that! I am guessing the computer facilities are good where you are at the moment? Be good and have too much fun!
    Love
    Kim and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nic's Followers:
    I spoke to Nicolas Saturday night. He is now with a host family in the tiny village of Ekipe, which is on the other side of the island. He has cell phone service, but no internet. It could be quite some time before he can update his blog as he will be training at this place for 8 weeks. After that, he will receive his final spot for the duration. He says Bislama, I think that is how it is spelled, is a fun language. He seems to be practicing it with everyone. I suppose I will have to resort to old-fashioned letter writing for awhile. Hugs to all,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nic, so glad to see you in the pics and looking so healthy and happy, too! Excellent. Love, love the pics, especially of the creepy crawlies and marine life. Hate the pics of the Kava, although I like the numbness it apparently brings on. I wonder, can you make a paste and rub it into aching joints to make them numb? LOL Anyway, thanks, again, for posting on the blog & the pics. Spectacular and what an adventure for you. Take care always. Debbie

    ReplyDelete