January 20, 2011

Vila:

November 1-9:
The week I spent in Vila was no good. I appreciate all the amenities Vila offers, such as running water and electricity, but after that I’m not a fan. Vila is crowded, dirty and expensive. The place we stay they put us 4 to a room that is the size of the average bathroom in the states. I’d probably be more comfortable if I just slept on the ground at some random relative of my host family’s haha. To top off the week in Vila it was really my first time of feeling sick at all since coming to Vanuatu and it was while I was in Vila. So on Nov. 4th I finally got to swear in and officially become a volunteer and at that time a few of us almost passed out because the room was unreasonably hot. Would have made quite the swearing in if during the middle of us swearing to uphold the constitution one or two of us suddenly passed out haha. During the week they were trying to get us all through our medical check ups and ready for site and a load of stuff. I lost 27.7 lbs during our 8 weeks of training, which was the most in the training group, but I’d already expected I would lose a lot as I’d gained an unhealthy amount of weight before coming to peace corps in an attempt to sate my fast food and sweet tooth. The nurse said I was a little dehydrated, but otherwise in great health, as if I’d be surprised that losing weight would be a good thing when I was already quite over weight haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment